Santorini, the most popular islands in Greece, has all the features of a world class destination. Santorini offers a unique and mystical experience, ven for the most experienced travelers.
How to get to Santorini?
By Boat. From Athens, without a doubt one of the best routes is to travel across the majestic sea of the Cycladic Islands or hop from island to island (always a reliable option to make the journey part of the vacation). Compare the best prices of Boats and Ferries for Santorini.
By plane. Although Santorini has a modest airport, it has very good flight connections with European countries. During low season (late September to early May), you are bound to find a good price.
3 Reasons to visit Santorini
- Santorini stands out for its breathtaking views, charming villages, and volcanic beaches.
- Santorini was created as a result of a volcanic explosion, thus creating the famous Caldera. The explosion, dating from the seventeenth century B.C., caused it to lose a significant amount of ground.
- Experience swimming on its volcanic beach. Although Santorini does not stand out for its turquoise beaches, we definitely suggest Kamari, Vlixada, Perivolos, Kokkino, and Aspri.
Santorini has something special that captivates, which will make you aways comeback to Greece. The architecture of the Cyclades islands, in general, is impressive but in Santorini, it all comes together. If you visit Santorini during high season, you find crowds and group tours, take your precautions!
Must See in Santorini
- Sunrise from the town of Caldera and the view of the nearby island of Nea Kameni.
- Sunset from the city of Oia. Surely you have already seen it in an Instagram photo, but this iconic image of Greece is famous a reason.
- Greek gastronomy. If you get lost in the city of Oia, you will surely find a classic Tavern where you will experience the love of traditional Greek dishes.
How many days do you need for Santorini?
It will always depend on each traveler. To be fair, 2 to 3 days is the minimum time to tour the island.
Two alternative routes in Santorini
Avoid following the typical tours and groups in Santorini and follow #the_GreekDream_.
Since Santorini and the region produce very good wines, we suggest trying some local wines and even visiting the vineyards and production houses.
Visit Nea Kameni Island. An alternative tour where you can find volcanic formations, go hiking and swim in the Agios Nikolaos lagoon.
Contact us for a unique and personalized tour!
Santorini or Mykonos?
If after reading this, you still have doubts, it's easy, you have to visit both.
Consider that Santorini has a limited nightlife and is a romantic and family destination. If you like impressive landscapes and authentic nature, then we suggest Santorini.
On the other hand, Mykonos is a good option for young travelers and luxury travel experiences. Keep in mind that both destinations receive significant amount international tourism. Prices and authentic greek local experiences are far from reality. For more on Greek Islands, check our Top 10 islands to visit in Greece.